Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pathetically Sentimental

Summer's end and the start of school make me uncontrollably sentimental.  One would think that with the event packed summer and over-abundance of family time this year, I would be able to embrace the shift to an empty house and a schedule resumed but I am still being ridiculously and pathetically sentimental. I love the care-free days and the long evenings that are summer.  I am nostalgic for when school started after Labor Day.  I am continually sighing (only in my head because I would never want the kids to take on this insanity), "This is the last... BBQ or lake house visit or week without a bed-time or trip to the pool (on closing day, regardless of the weather, we wait in the water to hear the final loud speaker announcement, "The pool is officially closed for the season; We'll see you Memorial Day.").

A couple of years ago, just after school started, I was trying desperately to figure out a way to make the relaxed nature of summer carry through the very long and cold and dark and trapping winter.  After hours of designing and budgeting, the dream living room came clear.  It was simple but had a warm gas fireplace, flocked in bookshelves, and engulfed by a soft shag rug.  There are no electronics and never a mess; No legos, no stuffed animals, no art supplies, no laundry to fold, no pokemon cards. Only books and board games and music and a couple of huge pillow cushions.

and now... as I sit here... silently lamenting the end of summer and organizing the shiny fresh school supplies for next week... the kids are giggling with friends while they play Apples to Apples on the rug in front of the fireplace and I'm (thankfully and gently) reminded... 

The Next Season of Life Isn't so Bad...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. The depression of going back to work is setting in for me. I have to remind myself that fall is also beautiful and then come the holidays, which are always a joy. It is nice to see that I am not the only one dreading summers end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Missy, you are not alone. For years I literally cried alone in my car at the end of summer, it isn't easy now but it is not as hard as it was when they were little-- I do give myself a strict limit of time to mourn the end of summer. I don't want to start wasting fall by by wishing it was still summer (I know it doesn't make much sense, but it works for me). I try to make summer memorable. I write lists of what I want my photo album at the end of summer to look like. I talk to the kids. We plan, but at the very end, I just look at pictures of my birthday and halloween and walks through the leaves and I try my hardest to just embrace the shift. Maybe meet us at the pool on Labor Day afternoon?

    ReplyDelete