Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Of Velour, Vodka, & Paint



I've got big plans to close out the year strong...

in velour pants 
eating left-overs
in front of the fire
listening to Enya
reading a book

I deserve it, if I do say so myself.

On the 23rd, I got a terrible
migraine.  I had been battling one all week and then drank white wine while dominating in Euchre with friends.  Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, just in retrospect, I should have swapped the white wine* for vodka with cran/pomegranate juice on ice; which, according to a very reliable Suburban Legend, has REMARKABLE health benefits.  It has been scientifically linked to actually heal and strengthen one's body rather than deplete it.
  • lowers cholesterol & blood pressure
  • rich with antioxidants
  • reduces plaque
  • kills germs
  • cures colds
  • lowers stress
  • slows the onset of Alzheimers
  • cleanses & rinses the urinary tract**
  • prevents kidney stones
  • deters cancer
  • and most shockingly, makes movies with chipmunks almost tolerable
Unfortunately, I didn't heed my own advice, so at 4am I woke up with the most intense migraine since starting yoga.  Heaven forbid I miss an event and obviously a 2 hour car-ride will make a migraine better.  I spent nearly the entire visit with the Great Grandparents horizontal with something dark over my eyes and trying to ignore the migraine related urge to stumble my way to the nearest bathroom.  I finally took the dreaded Treximet and finished the ride home in a comparatively rather lovely but incapacitated stupor. Middle America has amazing pink sunsets with purple clouds, made even more amazing with pharmaceutical trails.

Given that we had 3 full days of holiday-ness ahead of us***, we decided to cancel our Christmas Eve plans and relax the day/evening away.  My DH and son fought for Rome against the Templar Order.  My DD and I sat in front of the fire and painted.  Painting relaxes me.  I'm not talented.  My range is limited (pretty much just flowers and snowmen)****. The point is that we painted glasses for all the adults coming to the Christmas Party.  I think they turned out really cute.  A perfect Christmas Eve that wouldn't have happened without white wine.

I use Liquitex Glossies Acrylic Enamel which can be painted onto the glass and then baked.  It is pretty durable.

*love the taste of white wine but it almost always gives me a headache
**rumored to help with ED, if that is a problem
***and I felt like I had been hit by a Mac truck
****The other day my mom pulled out something I painted when I was 16.  It looked exactly the same as something that I would paint now, 20+ years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment